Should my architecture/engineering firm file a claim against your professional liability policy?

This question comes up from time to time and the answer is yes.  Your firm’s policy is there to protect your firm in the event of a claim.

If your firm has not received an ‘official’ notice of claim but there have been some issues on the project, report it to the insurance company as a pre-claim.  Most insurance policies include free pre-claims assistance.

If your firm has received notice of claim, a demand for services or money, notify the insurance company.  This is a claim, and the insurance company must be notified.

The Insured, as a condition precedent to the obligations of the Company under this Policy, will give written notice to the Company as soon as reasonably possible during the Policy Period of any Claim made against the Insured.

It is always best to get the insurance company involved early and with as much information as possible.  Keep in mind that if an insurance company is not notified at the time your firm receives the notice, there could be a denial of claim.

Your firm is required to provide assistance to the insurance company in defending your firm’s claim.

The Insured will cooperate with the Company in the defense, investigation and settlement of any Claim. Upon the Company’s request, the Insured will attend hearings, depositions and trials and assist in effecting settlements, securing and giving evidence, obtaining the attendance of witnesses and in the conduct of suits and proceedings in connection with a Claim.

Proving the insurance company as much information as possible is important to best defend the claim.  If your firm has any questions with regards claims or pre-claims, please call, or email, your Professional Underwriter agent for assistance.file a claim